As I've told you guys before, the past eras have always inspired me a lot in terms of fashion and style. Each decade had its own quirk and elements as far as fashion was concerned, and I'm smitten by some trend of the other from each of these eras - be it the 60s shift dresses or the 70s hippie looks or the 80s bold colors!
So, I planned to create a series of contemporary looks by incorporating retro elements from any one decade. You all have seen my indie-fusion take on the 60s fashion. Now it's time to bring on that 80s show to you guys!!!
The 80s was a decade that sent people into a visual tizzy - what with all the bold colors, the vibrant patterns, the oversized styles and the power shoulders! 80s fashion was about everything big - big accessories, big prints, big shoulders and big hair. This is the era when wearing workout gear on the streets became fashionable. This is the era when short skirts & fishnet stockings became the rage. This is the era when color-blocking called for reds to be worn with yellows and greens with purples! The 80s saw all kinds of trends - from the quirky to the bold to the OTT - but they keep coming back from time to time to add fun touches to our ever-changing fashion stories.
There are quite a few trends from that era which I personally like....and I've tried to create a street-style look incorporating a few of the trends - power dressing, joggers, colors, big prints, fishnet and socks with heels!
A lot of you out there love the big, bold, clashing colors of the 80s fashion trends; but feel apprehensive about trying them out in real life. Well, here's the answer to your fashion woes! This outfit not only harmoniously gets together various trends of the era, but also makes for a great look which you can flaunt anywhere - from work to party!
[Grey blazer: Forever 21 | Orange printed tee: c/o United Colors of Benetton | Denim joggers: Myntra.com | Pink fishnet gloves: Claire's | Clear aviator glasses: Aliexpress | Necklaces: Colaba Causeway, Mumbai | Rose brooch: flea market find | Watch: Fossil | Socks: Forever 21 | Black pumps: gift from USA]
Here are a few ways in which you can embrace these cool 80s trends too:
- Give power dressing your own twist by pairing your structured blazer with joggers or loose pants.
- If you are not too confident of color blocking your outfit, then color block your accessories instead! Wear a pink necklace with a blue top or flaunt a green bag with a yellow dress for ultimate 80s vibes!
- Ditch those sneakers and pair your socks with pumps & kitten heels instead. Make sure your socks are either in vibrant hues or have fun patterns on them!
- Even though I have kept the hair & make-up quite contemporary here (with the wingtip eyeliner being the only retro touch), you can add 1980s chic to your looks through bright colored eye-shadows or big, blow-dried hair.
- Embrace the sexiness of fishnets. Wear them as stockings underneath skirts, shorts or ripped denims, as tank tops to be layered with solid colored tees, or wear them as gloves, like I have!
- Go big, or go home! Flaunt chunky earrings, big bows on headbands, big prints on clothes, oversized sunglasses - 80s fashion was all about the bigger, the better!
- Have a print party! Polkas, stripes, animal prints, big florals - take all those prints out and pair them with contrast solids for an unmistakable 80s look.
- This era was the epitome of the "more is more" ideology. Layer clothes to create fun looks, pile on the jewellery - big earrings with layers of necklaces, layer leg warmers with stockings on shoes - when you are taking inspiration from the 80s, you can go as OTT as you want!
Do you love the fashion of the 1980s as much as me?
Have you ever tried any 80s-inspired looks?
Let me know in the comments below! :)